Ambassador Animal Internship
Lincoln Children’s Zoo is looking for a candidate to work alongside side our Ambassador Keepers. This intern will be expected to be able to handle and take care of variety of small animals and engage guests in public animal demonstrations.
Interns will work closely with keepers alone in animal areas and alongside dangerous animals and the applicant will need to show maturity and be able to follow directions. Prior animal experience is preferred but not required.
As an intern you will able to learn the following:
- Animal observations
- Record keeping (ZIMS and SharePoint)
- Public speaking through keeper chats, animal demonstrations, and outreach
- Diet preparation
- Animal husbandry
- Safety policies and procedures
- Administering medications and/or supplements
- Training and enrichment
- Veterinary procedures
As part of the internship, you will be required to complete a training project to present to the keeper staff.
- Complete a minimum of 200 hours.
- Must have a current or be willing to have annual TB screening done.
- Must have a strong desire to learn and be able to accept constructive criticism.
- Must be willing to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Must be able to stand for long periods, crouch, lift a minimum of 50 pounds, and work in extreme heat and cold.
- Must be 18 years or older.