The Humboldt Penguin lives near rocky mainland shores in the Humboldt Current of Pacific coast Chile and Peru.
IN THE WILD – Fish, squid and krill
IN THE ZOO – Mackerel, smelt and capelin
- Adults weigh approximately 8-10 pounds and are 15-18 inches tall
- Swim up to 17 miles per hour
- Lose and replace all feathers once a year in a process called molting
- Each of the Zoo's penguins eat 2 pounds of fish per day
- Zoo guests can see the penguins eat every day at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. and participate in the game "Eat That Fish"