The Lincoln Children's Zoo is looking for individuals for our new zookeeping apprenticeship program! If you are someone seeking a career in the zoological industry but are wanting more experience than an internship offers then this is the right position for you. The Lincoln Children's Zoo is a member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and is one of the fasted growing zoos in the country. As a zookeeping apprentice, you will gain further experience in animal husbandry, training, enrichment, medical procedures, commissary, safety policies and protocols, record keeping, public speaking, and more. You will be a member of the zookeeping staff working with the animals one-on-one learning from both the animals and the zookeepers. As an apprentice you will be required to commit to 25-40 hours per week for 12 weeks. Housing may be provided with the commitment of 40 hours/week. We are seeking apprentices within our Animal Department and Ambassador Animal Areas.
• Willing to commit to 25-40 hours per week for 12 weeks. Housing provided with the commitment of 40 hours/week.
• Prior animal experience through internships and/or volunteer experiences preferred.
• Bachelors degree in biology, animal science, zoology, or equivalent.
• Working towards a career in animal care
• Able to work both independently and within a team environment
• Ability to work in extreme heat and cold.
• Provide a safe environment for the animals, their self, the keepers, and guest by identifying, fixing, and/or reporting potential safety hazards.
• Willing to work weekends, evenings, and holidays
• Must be 18 years of age
• Must be punctual and reliable
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds
Now accepting applications!