The Lincoln Children's Zoo is offering the chance to participate in unpaid internships with our Carnivores String.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity for students to work alongside keepers, develop important professional relationships, and gain valuable experience!
A successful candidate will participate in many aspects of husbandry including:
- Diet preparation and distribution
- Cleaning of animal exhibits and holding areas
- Exhibit maintenance
- Observing and recording animal condition, behaviors, and responses
- Positive and educational interaction with zoo guests during operating hours
- Animal enrichment and training
- Interns are required to complete a minimum of 200 hour commitment.
- Interns must have proof of a current negative TB test or be able to obtain one prior to start date of internship.
- Interns must have a strong desire to learn and be able to accept constructive criticism. They must have a basic, positive interest in animals and have good interpersonal skills.
- Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college institution, have completed at least 2 years of course work, and have an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher. or a recent graduate (within 1 year of application).
- Qualified Interns for this position should have at least one year of previous experience in volunteering or working in an animal related field and pursuing a degree that is animal related.
- Keeper internships consist of a scheduled work week to be determined by the supervisor and intern. A minimum commitment of 200 total hours is required. Interns must be flexible with their schedule and have the ability to work weekdays, weekends and holidays.
- This position requires interns to work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust.
- This position involves considerable physical exertion such as repetitive bending, pushing/pulling/carrying heavy loads and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 50 pounds).