Humboldt Penguin Spheniscus humboldti
The Humboldt Penguin lives near rocky mainland shores in the Humboldt Current of Pacific coast Chile and Peru.
Diet in the wild
Fish, squid and krill
Diet at the Zoo
Mackerel, smelt and capelin
- Adults weigh approximately 8-10 pounds and are 15-18 inches tall
- Swim up to 17 miles per hour
- Lose and replace all feathers once a year in a process called molting
- Each of the Zoo's penguins eat 2 pounds of fish per day
- Zoo guests can see the penguins eat every day at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. and participate in the game "Eat That Fish"